Thinking about having a baby? There are some things you need to know!
- Avoid alcohol! If a mom has more than a little sip of wine, beer or a mixed drink, the alcohol enters her bloodstream and goes to the baby. While her brain may be able to withstand this, her developing baby’s brain can’t handle it which may lead to mental retardation.
- Take high-quality vitamin supplements, especially B-12 and Folic Acid! These supplements are essential for proper development and are known to prevent defects such as Spina bifida.
- Eat Healthily! You are feeding a rapidly growing baby, and that baby needs protein – not sugar!
- Exercise! Be smart about it, but do continue to get your exercise. Now is probably not the best time to train for a triathlon, but continue to move: walk, swim, bicycle.
- Be smart! Don’t smoke! Don’t do drugs! Don’t use Medical Marijuana!
If you have questions about prenatal health or need a pregnancy test, check with us!
How is Fibromyalgia Treated?
Despite the inconsistent medical opinions about Fibromyalgia, several treatment options have been found to be successful.
Generally, NSAIDs (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen sodium) are ineffective, and the potential risk of side-effects are significant. Still, some medications may work:
- Muscle relaxants
- Topical analgesics – the most effective will be uniquely formulated by a reputable compounding pharmacy
- Pregabalin – effectively reduces nerve transmissions
- Serotonin/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (Milnacipran & Duloxetine) – these also carry the potential for very serious side effects, and should be regarded as a last resort.
Naturopathic medicine offers several treatment options which have demonstrated benefit in patients with fibromyalgia. These include:
- Acupuncture – This treatment, based on Traditional Chinese Medicine, seeks to stimulate very specific points on the body’s energy meridians. The meridians most often used to treat acupuncture are Kidney, Liver, Governing Vessel and Gall Bladder.
- Nutritional Supplements – The importance of good nutrition in any chronic disease condition cannot be over-emphasized. Just like building a house, basic materials are needed. Healing from fibromyalgia cannot be fully accomplished with basic nutrients. I recommend supplementation:
- Weekly IV Nutrients – This is commonly called a “Myer’s Cocktail.”
- Daily Supplements: Malic Acid, Magnesium, Multiple Vitamins, Co-Q 10, Melatonin, C, D, B-complex, SAMe, 5-HTP
- Injection Therapy
- Inject an analgesic into the tender points. This will “turn them off” for a few days, bringing at least short-term relief.
- This is the use of alternating hot and cold packs to reduce or eliminate the pain.
- Physical Medicine
- This is the use of adjustment techniques to reduce the strain on muscles and tendons.
Fibromyalgia can be treated successfully. There is no reason to “just live with it.”